“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Monday, December 27, 2010

12 Days of Yule - Day 8

8th Day of Yule – Remembering the Noble Virtue of Discipline
December 27th

"Our way is not an easy way. In many aspects, we fly in the face of the society around us. Stay true to the ideals of the ancient Celtic ways as they unfold in your life. Be diligent in the study of your beliefs. Stay true to the goddesses and to the great Celtic people."

Well, here we are on Day 8 of the 12 Days of Yule - a little more than halfway through the Yule season. While this time of year lends itself to spiritual matters, matters of the heart, and of one's beliefs, I find that the ideas coming to me each day are not necessarily of that sort. I guess because I practice, read and endeavor to be a spiritual person most days of the year so during this time my attention is also focused on mundane issues . . . like, well, the body. And with the calendar New Year fast approaching, resolutions are coming to mind.

My body is in a sorry state. I haven't exercised since it got so cold outside that it could freeze off any parts exposed in a matter of seconds. No excuse really, I could be exercising in the house. Apparently my body isn't aware of that - and I'm not telling. I'm eating carbs like they're going out of style and well simply put, I'm a bulging heap of mashed potatoes. Add to that the sugar 'fog' I've been living in and well, discipline . . .

So it's time to get tough with myself. To initiate some 'discipline'. Time to get the eating under control and to that end we're going back on our clean eating regime starting next week. Discipline . . . I'm also going to start using my Leslie Sansone walking tapes every day, starting tomorrow. Discipline . . . And I'll be hitting the weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Discipline . . . And I'd really like to use those beautiful new skates Brian bought me for Yule last year, let's say at least once a week. Discipline . . .

I'm making that my new mantra . . . DISCIPLINE . . . a simple word really and I think a much better word than 'motivation' (if I could just find some) or 'determination' (sounds like I should climb a mountain) or 'just do it' (sounds like nagging to me). The word discipline conjurs up a sense of responsibility. Responsibility to myself and no one else . . . just me . . . oh, and the muffin top . . .

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about me?? HEHEHE...Ok, so I know you are talking about yourself but I am in the same boat as you. Maybe we can encourage one another in this particular discipline.

Plumrose Lane said...

I love this series you're posting ~ it's SO enlightening!
I'm in the same state and keep hoping that moving will help put a few more muscles on and help me drop a few pounds too, ugh!
♥Sharon