“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

12 Days of Yule ~ Day 3

3rd Day of Yule – Remembering the Noble Virtue of Courage
December 22nd

"Courage is definitely an attitude of boldness, however, not the absence of fear. Courage is the carrying in spite of your fear. It is courage that allows us to live life in such a manner that we can be proud."

On this third day of Yule, I chose to reflect on the birth of the Sun-God and with him the coming of warmer days and of spring and summer. The Oak King has come forth and slain the Holly King, sending him into the netherworld.

It is a time for joyous celebration, of LIGHT, and of reflection over the past year. Because Yule exemplifies the adage, "The greatest darkness comes before dawn," it is an opportunity to embrace the darkness one last time before the growing light takes hold. In doing so, we also present ourselves with something else important; a time to purge ourselves of that which is no longer useful, and an opportunity to make room to receive all the gifts of the returning light.

Charge of the Sun God

I am the Light that bursts through the Darkness
And the smile on the young child's face.
I am the warmth that melts the winter chill
And the sparks that dance from the old fireplace.
I am the smell of oranges and apples
And the scent of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.
I am the holly, the ivy, the mistletoe ball,
And the jocularity of the Great God, Jove.
I am found in the twinkling of an aged eye
And in the hope of children everywhere.
Yes, joy and love and warmth am I.
Where kindness abounds, I, too, am there.
I am your brother, your father, the wise one
And I warm you gently in the light of my love.
I lighten your worries, bring good health and speed growth
By shedding my rays down on you from above.
But remember, my children, be grateful
For my brother, the Darkness, and winter's deep chill
For without them, there would be little reason
For this holiday season of peace and good will.

~ Dorothy Morrison ~

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty blog you have! I enjoyed reading several of your posts. Thanks for visiting my blog too.

Henric C. Jensen said...

I lost track of you :) But here you are :)

Yes, I like this :)