“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Thursday, December 23, 2010

12 Days of Yule ~ Day 4

4th Day of Yule – Remembering the Noble Virtue of Truth
December 23rd

"Truth is as relative as the individual. What one person or group finds to be the Truth, another finds to be ridiculous. There is no universal truth. There is no one-way or right way of seeing things. What we accept as truth is merely that; our truth. No one person or group has the right to dictate their truth on anyone. Search for your own truth."

I watched the movie Zeitgeist yesterday which fits perfectly with today's theme of 'Truth'. In the movie it talks about the untruths that we as people accept and live with. We don't always know the untruths we're being inundated with and so we go along our merry ways, oblivious to the fact that our freedoms are being taken away . . . one by one.

Now, I'm normally an upbeat kind of person, preferring to focus on the positive side of life and giving people the chance to share their truths with me. But this movie got me mad . . . mad at the very people that we put our trust in, namely the government. Is this movie truthful? I don't know for sure, but it sure made me think.

This movie and others like it, newspapers, television, politics, organized religion, and the like are the whole reason why I DON'T read newspapers, watch television or partake in politics or organized religion. I guess you could say that I follow the old addage 'Ignorance is bliss'. Not that I'm ignorant of the world and what goes on in it . . . I just choose to focus on the positive. It's like in the movie 'The Secret' where they discuss the world, war, political unrest, et cetera. Instead of focusing on what you don't want (i.e. war) it's better to focus on what you do want, and for most of us that's peace.

And so today, I choose to reflect on the positives in life. The fact that I can follow my own religious truth is one of them. That I live in a place where I don't have to worry about stepping out my front door into a war zone. I have good, fresh food to eat. I have people who love me and people whom I love. I have warmth on a cold winter's night, and I have my own truths that uphold me and give me courage and strength.

Ma'at ~ Egyptian Goddess of Truth, Balance & Order

Universal Divine

I am better than my own prejudices,
my heart is deeper than my own pettyness,
my true spirit seeks the balance of harmony,
my journey as a human can unite me with all.

In our hearts, the eternal divine dwells.
I call it by one name of my understanding,
you call it by another name,
and others call it by other names.
The different names do not matter.
Divine is divine is divine and eternal.
It has names beyond counting
each name is true and sacred.

We are divided only by our own prejudices,
threatened by our own fears of the unlimited.
We see the indivisible power of spiritual eternity
and divide it into manageable bits of understanding,
leaving the greater truths beyond our feeble grasp,
clinging to a few facets of the unlimited divine
and defend our facets as the whole truth,
the only truth we dare to see and accept.

May my heart be open to understand more,
open to celebrate the facets held sacred by others
knowing that their truth is as true as mine.
Each path and every path to the divine is sacred
and deserving of my deepest respect.
Call it God, Energy or something else.
All names of the divine are true,
sacred, eternal and magic.
~ Abby Willowroot © 2008 ~

post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I applaud you, Teresa, for being able to look for the positives in life. It's not always easy to be proactive like that - especially if the day is going rough.

BTW, did you go to the solstice pageant at the UU church? How was it? I headed out to Olbrich Park where there were a bunch of hippies stoned out of their mind holding a bonfire. But stoned or not, they know how to hold a drum circle. :)