“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Friday, October 14, 2011

My Dog ~ Oliver

My dog Oliver is one of those rare dogs who despite outward appearances (he is a Dachshund after all) loves his mommy and would do anything just to be by her side. Being a Dachshund, his legs are short . . . so short in fact that he can't jump on the furniture. For most people that would be a good thing, but for this mommy it means picking him up and placing him next to her on the sofa, or as is most often the case, he lies on the floor as close to her as is doggy possible. Getting up on the bed is a whole other matter, this mommy bought her doggy dog stairs.

And as is so often the case when there's more than one animal in the house, sometimes there is not enough attention paid to one or the other and it takes a turn of events to tip the scales. And so it was with Oliver yesterday. In his usual style he came and danced in front of me to be let out. As he was heading down the step to the great outdoors, he let out a great yelp of pain, tucked in his backside, turned and looked at me with pain in his eyes. It was more than I could bear. I scooped him up and tried to figure out what had happened. Suspecting a back injury, I called the Emergency Vet Clinic, let them know I was coming, settled Oliver in his kennel and headed out.

Two hours and an x-ray later, it was determined that Oliver had slipped a disc. So begins a four to six week recovery with steroids and pain killers. Confinement is the order of the day and he needs to be carried in and out to do his business. No playing either which not only depresses Oliver, but his partner in the playing game, Chloei, and she's not happy about it.

I've sent out the call to my Reiki Healing Circle for healing energies to be sent to Oliver. Thanks to my crystal teacher (for reminding me that I have crystal power), I've placed crystals in his kennel for pain relief and healing. Prayers and healing thoughts are welcomed and appreciated. I know that with this arsenal for him (along with proper veterinary care) Oliver will heal and be back to his old antics. I'll keep you posted.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Wendy Aspinall said...

Oh Tereze sending lots of hugs and prayers to Oliver Oh my I have two dashs too and worry that they may end up with slipped discs..

hugs wendy and willow and Acorn

LuLu Kellogg said...

Tereza...I hope your sweet Oliver will improve each day. One of our sweet pups just got spayed, had a reaction to the suture material and had to be re-operated on. It's so hard when they have to be confined. Sending hugs to you and Oliver!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Maggid said...

Oliver's Photo is priceless.
Please know, healing prayers have been added to the arsenal of Healing Love surrounding you and Oliver now. Thank you for the opportunity to agree with you . . .
Love & Love,
-g-

Sara said...

Oh I do hope he gets better soon. Sending healing reiki his and your way. Hugs Sara

Krista @ The Random Dabbler said...

My heart goes out to your pup...it hurts us to see them hurt so. We too have a set of stairs for our boy to get to his favorite spot! Prayers to you both for a quick recovery!