“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Thursday, April 14, 2011

Volunteerism

"Dedicate your life to a cause greater than yourself,
and your life will become a glorious adventure."
~ Mack Douglas ~

Last night I went for my orientation at the Dane County Humane Society. To say the least, I am impressed with this organization. Everything they do is for the benefit of the animals (and people) they serve. And they have fun doing it!

The orientation lasted 2 1/2 hours and during that time I found out about the mission and goals of the shelter, went on a tour, and heard from current volunteers. It was time well spent. After the presentation I couldn't sign up fast enough, get my picture taken and shout at the top of my lungs (to myself of course) WHEN DO I START?!!

I should be hearing from my trainer within the next few weeks to set up my schedule. I plan on starting with four hours - one day a week. My job will be 'Canine Companion' which means I'll be walking dogs and playing with them. Ruff, eh? (Get the pun? Rough=Ruff? I know I'm too funny!).

Anyway, if you've given volunteering just an inkling of a thought, I encourage you to get out there and at least experience the orientation. Who knows, maybe your life will be headed on a glorious adventure!


Me with my own brood - Bailey in my lap,
and from left to right; Chloei, Oliver and Shelby.

Photobucket

8 comments:

Her Speak said...

Such a beautiful way to express your love for animals. Wishing you the best of luck on your volunteering journey!

Much Joy~*
Molly

Nana Mari said...

A beautiful photo of you and your 'puppies'! Good Luck at the shelter!
Blessed Be, Mari

Cindy said...

I love your picture with your dogs, they are so cute. Volunteering is wonderful. I had checked into and then had gotten sick. one day I will do it though, hopefully if I ever can drive again. My dog always seems to tell when I will have a Cataplexy spell. Take care and can't wait to hear how this goes for you. obviously you have a very loving heart. have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome! I did dog rescue from 2007-2009 with 2 differnt organizations and am starting with a local boxer rescue next week. Volunteering is good for everyone.

Shell said...

A wonderful way to volunteer!!

Barbara Graver said...

Good for you! Sounds like a wonderful way to make a difference.

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful! I applaud your choice and love your furry family pic.

Chelsei B said...

love it!!