“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Monday, July 25, 2011

Camping

This past weekend I went camping with some friends to Tower Hill State Park. I was anticipating getting away, relaxing in nature, having fun with friends, and coming back home again rejuvenated and ready to go on with the real world.


Carl after putting up his tent.

Okay, so it was a little too in nature for me, not being acclimated to the world of camping in a tent for the last 20 years or so. Not to mention the outhouse with three stalls and a spongy floor and no hot showers to wash it all off with at the end of the day. That resort down the road was starting to look pretty appealing.

Here's my journal entry penciled in at 5:30 in the morning after not sleeping ALL night . . .
"All is finally quiet at six o'clock in the morning. I have only the birds and squirrels to keep me company.

The night was spent trying to sleep amongst partiers two campsights over who insisted on talking loudly over each other with guitar riffing music as a backdrop. The air mattress that Kelly inflated for me was as flat as a pancake when I finally laid my weary head down after midnight.

I am distracted to my left as I hear a very large branch from a tree crack and then fall to the ground through the trees. A metaphor for my experience thus far?

Squirrels are jumping from limb to limb in the trees above me and I marvel at their seeming indifference to the heights they are playing at.

On the way to the outhouse this morning bats were flying about not aware of how close they came to landing in my hair - bats really freak me out! Mosquitos are buzzing around my ears - and finally rest on a tasty tidbit of skin - are enough to drive even the most ardent of campers to hide their body, head to toe, under the covers despite the heat and humidity.

The sun is slowly making its way up in the sky bringing with it the light of a new day . . ."

All that after only one night of camping! The next morning our friend, Patricia, woke up ill and had to be taken to the hospital. We all felt so bad for her and decided that we wouldn't attend the show we had planned for that evening, deciding instead to go later in August when she could attend with us as well.

We had all planned to go tubing and piled into the car anticipating a day floating luxuriously down the Wisconsin River. However, we hadn't made reservations (who knew?) and so tubing was out. Instead we went back to the campsite, filled up the car with snacks and drinks and headed to the beach at the river. We enjoyed the day in the water and had a great time.


From left to right - Eli, Kelly, Carl and me.

Come Saturday night I was sure I would fall asleep once my head hit the pillow, however, a possum outside my tent had other plans. He was really freaking me out! I thought for sure he was going to make it into the tent and proceed to nibble off my toes! Okay, so I have a vivid imagination. And then an owl started whooing, which I didn't mind so much, but I had to laugh at the symphony going on outside my tent and I wondered if I'd ever fall asleep. Two nights without sleep was more than I could bear!

And it didn't help that the partiers down the road were up to their antics again, but to make it even more fun they started throwing firecrackers on their campfire. Then I had to go the bathroom - I was in a quandry - do I go out and face that possum or hold on until morning. No contest - I had to go! So I put on my big girl panties and headed out into the night. Other than meeting a policeman on the road (who had come because of a complaint of firecrackers) my trip to the outhouse was uneventful.

So let's see mosquitos, flies, bats, racoons, a possum, and an owl - I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere . . .

Suffice to say that I did fall asleep at some point and awoke the next morning thankful that I would be heading home soon. All in all I had a really good time and enjoyed being with my friends. We're planning another outing in August so that we can take in that show we missed, but remember that resort I mentioned earlier? Oh ya, I'll be staying there!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Sara said...

sounds like a good time was had dispite the sleepless nights and the noisy wildlife. Hope your friend feels better soon. Hugs Sara

Tara said...

Ahh....the great outdoors! Its so nice to reconnect with nature again :) Im glad you had a nice trip, but I think I would do the same as you and stay at the resort next time! lol! Hope your friend is feeling better. Many blessings )O(

Anonymous said...

Dear Tereza,
Well, the time spent at the beach sounded like fun! I am so not a camping girl ~ but your photos are beautiful ~
I hope your friend is doing better.
Blessings

Plumrose Lane said...

Wow! My heart goes out to you for your experience and poor Patricia for ending up sick. Sounds like all-in-all you took away some nice memories and it's always nice to learn what we can handle, right?! I don't think I could tolerate camping either ~ just something about a hot shower and a toilet. ;D
♥Sharon

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear your friend got sick.
A few days without sleep is no fun at all, so I can imagine how you felt.
I'm glad the daytime adventures turned out great !!
Have a magical weekend and a great Lughnasa.