“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Monday, March 7, 2011

Embracing the Goddess . . .

When I started out on my journey almost a year ago, I was overwhelmed with the amount of information and the staggering numbers of deities from which to choose from. Slowly wading my way through, I decided to focus my devotions on Green Tara. And while she has been a devoted patroness to me, it was I who chose her. Along the way I'd hear of people who were definitely chosen BY the Goddess that they serve. I couldn't fully comprehend this idea - at least not until a few weeks ago.

It all started when I was deciding how to decorate my Ostara altar. Of course there is the color scheme of yellows, greens, purples and pinks. There are the eggs and the rabbits. There are the daffodils and seed packets. What I wasn't expecting to see on my Ostara altar was a statue of the Virgin Mary. "You need to put a statue of the Mother Goddess on your altar and she needs to be in the image of Mary", the voice said to me. Puzzled, I asked, "are you sure?" (with quizzical look on face). "Yes, dear one, I'm sure", the voice said. And so without questioning further, I ordered a statue of Mother Mary for my Ostara altar.

A few days later the song "Let It Be" started playing in my head . . .

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom,
Let it be.

And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom,
Let it be

I took that as another sign that the Goddess was speaking to me, encouraging me to come to her. Remember my poem a few posts back? Mary is also named 'The Star of the Sea' and is believed to intercede as a guide and protector of those who travel or seek their livelihoods on the sea. How serendipitous is that?

And then I was led to a blog by 'City Wiccan' who had decided that she was going to incorporate the Rosary into her practice. She even went so far as to re-write the Rosary to celebrate the Goddess. And then they came, the blogs and websites with information of Mary as Goddess and prayers and devotions and hymns to her, written in a way that confirms my faith and my beliefs as a Wiccan.

Mary has many names; Anat, Aphrodite, Artemis, Asherah, Astarte, Athena, Brigit, Cybele, Demeter, Diana, Hecate, Ishtar, Inanna, Isis, Juno, Kuan Yin, Maat, Maeve, Mariamne, Sohpia, Tara, and Theotokos. I researched and read and honestly couldn't believe the information that was literally pouring into my hands. I was being led.

The similarities between Mary and Green Tara are striking. So much so that I've decided to keep both of these deities as my Patron Goddesses for as long as they'll have me . . . Green Tara because I chose her and she chose to accept my forcing myself upon her AND Mary because she's chosen me and has filled my heart to overflowing with her love, guidance and wisdom.

I purchased an amethyst (for it's spiritual nature) Rosary from Etsy. After removing the crucifix and attaching the Mary pendant I purchased from eBay I'm now ready to pray the Goddess Rosary. I've created a separate blog page for 'Praying the Goddess Mary Rosary' should you be interested.

In closing I just want to say to those of you who are searching for your 'Patron' Goddess - look for a deity who resonates with you, ask her permission to work with her and wait, patiently, for the Goddess of your heart to find you (she may even end up being the one you've chosen to work with!).

Sending you all Reiki Love and remember to Live in the Light!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget when Inanna came to me. What a beautiful and magical time for you.

Lady Godiva said...

What a lovely and heartfelt post. It is very special when you are called by the Goddess. I remember when I was called by the Goddess Isis. I kept having dreams of Ankhs and even had a type of waking vision of Isis herself. I will never forget what she said to me.

By the way, those prayer beads are gorgeous!

~*Gumbo Soul*~ said...

How amazing! I have a statue of Mary that finds it's way to my altar a lot too!

RPLancaster said...

How wonderful for you,Tereza! As I read your post I kept thinking synchronicity at work.
Are familar with this word? It is a term coined by Jung to refer to his theory of meaningful coincidence,according to which psychic and physical events that don't stand in any discernible way or relationship ,may never the less be connected through the same meaning.
Blessed Be,

Paulette

orchid0324 said...

I am a middle-aged Japanese woman who started to blog this Feb. What a wonderful blog.
I'd be very grateful if I can follow you. May I follow you?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! I have used the Rosary in my craft for a few years now. It calms me and is a huge asset to focus with.

I am so glad she found you and more so that you were open to her call. Blessings to you!

Emi Brade said...

Wonderful post, because of my christian upbringing Mary has always been a part of my life and practice, it's so great to see how many others feel the same way about the connection that can be made with her symbols.

Anonymous said...

After 62 years of acute depressions I found my way to The Goddess and to my True Self as Danielle and since then my heart has been filled with happiness and the wondrous friendship of women. Many years ago, as a Trappist monk, I sang "Salve Regina" to the Queen of Heaven and now I do so again in honor of the Triple Goddess, Mother of All Things. Once I was lost, but now I am found. Blessings be!