“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Monday, September 27, 2010

Owls and a Yellow Moon

While visiting my favorite bookstore, Barnes & Noble, a few weeks ago, I happened to pick up Martha Stewart's Halloween 2010 magazine. Wow! It's filled with awesome ides! However, I didn't feel like laying out $10 for it and so went home empty-handed, but not empty-headed! The ideas were floating around like bats in the bellfrie.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I finally got busy putting what I'd seen in the magazine into real life on my front porch. I took some creative liberties (actually, my husband refused to drill holes into our new door casings) so instead of putting the branches vertically between the sidelights on our door, we put them horizontally - the branch on the left sits in a pot and the branch on the right is stuffed into the hay bale.

I found an owl template on the internet, printed it out and my husband (the dear that he is) cut out the owls from plywood. I spray-painted them black along with the tree branches and abra-ca-dabra!

The moon is something I had in my project stash and with a quick trip to Ace for some bright yellow paint, it's transformed into an autumn moon.

Whoooooooo . . . whoooooo . . .

So there you have it . . . eat your heart out Martha Stewart!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Marfi-topia said...

I arrived here to look at your Practical Magic post and I got taken in by an owl!!!
it's just perfect, I love how it came out!
and your party post is lovely!!
have a great night!!

Wendy said...

I loved those owls so much. I did the exact same thing as far as going to my favorite place (Barnes) and picking up the mag. I also wanted those owls so bad. I was wondering though how I was going to get a template and now I know. I am going to look one up and get my dad to cut it out for me. Thank you so much for sharing this. I wanted those owls so bad. Your front door is absolutely enchanting.
Spells and wishes,
Wendy from wonderland

Theresa MacNaughton said...

The owls are beautiful, Teresa. I adore them - and collect them. I promised to be back to visit your enchanting blog. Your decorations for autumn are so wonderful! Theresa