“You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.
Don't turn away from possible futures before you're certain you don't have anything to learn from them.”

~ Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull ~


Friday, July 30, 2010

A Season . . .

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But only for a season . . .

Over the course of my adult life I've been a Big Sister three times. The first time was to a young girl who I was only a Big Sister to for a few weeks. I can't really remember the reason why it was so short-lived except that her family decided to pull all the children from the program.

The second time was to a little girl who was just adorable and fun. After about six months she started to change becoming increasingly angry and aggressive. Our case worker at the time contacted me and asked if I'd noticed anything different about the girl. I said I had and explained. I was then informed that it was discovered that the father had been abusing her. Unfortunately, it was decided that the Big Sister relationship would end so that the family could sort through the ramifications of such a terrible situation. My heart broke . . . I loved that little girl and I was devastated that someone could do such an awful, unspeakable thing to her.

The third time I became a Big Sister was about two years ago. I enjoyed a year long relationship with her and after the year committment was up, I decided to end it. Although I enjoyed spending time with her, she was at an age where friends are the focus and so on our outings it seemed we always had her friends around. I knew she was doing okay and so we went our separate ways.

Each of these young girls taught me something about them,about myself and about life. That it's not always fun, not always perfect, not always as we wish it could be. That it's downright cruel sometimes. But in the inbetween places, it is fun, it is perfect, it is safe, and it's exactly as we wish it could be.

I hope they learned something from me to and that all of our lives are better for the experience of sharing and learning about each other. And, yes, I remember each of their names . . . they're imprinted on my heart . . .


Photobucket

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What an exraordinary gift to give someone. Even if is just for a short time. A small part of yourself and a few short moments and memories of your life. It is really neat that you were there for those children to share in those brief moments of their lives. What a great post.
Thank you...
Have a Wonderfully mad and Curious day.
Wendy from Wonderland